Monday, February 21, 2011

{Warning} MEGA-blog-post ahead!


I'm not sure why, but I've had a mega case of "blogger's block" over the last couple of weeks.  While I seem to have manged to write and re-write my growing list of things I wanted to share with you, I haven't managed to write a single word here.

So, when I read Rachel's post over at p.s. i quilt about "indecisive blogging" this afternoon, I decided to take her advice and "just do it" already!  Without further ado, here's what's been going on in Poplun-land lately.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *


A little bit of shopping ....
Stash Update: February 1 - February 17, 2011

  • Purchased:  13.5 yards including a Lollipop fat-eighths bundle for this month's Le Petite Project, and a whole bolt of my favorite white-on-white polka dot fabric.
  • Used: Zip.  Unfortunately, no finished projects in the last two weeks.
YTD: + 18 yards


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * 

A little bit of sewing ...



So, I've finally been able to clean up my sewing room and have organized my works-in-progress back into their five little boxes.  This month, I've been working on:

Box #1: The February Le Petite project, "Sweet Spot," a Schnibbles Pattern by Miss Rosie's Quilt Co.  


We have three baby boys expected in the (extended) family between May and June, so I've been on the lookout for boy friendly patterns and fabrics lately.  When Burgundy Buttons, one of my new favorite online quilt shops, had a great sale on Lollipop fabric bundles, I poked that "purchase" button like lightening and immediately cut it up for this pattern.

I'm really happy with my progress, so far, but also know that I need to get my butt in gear if I'm actually going to finish before the 28th!  I'm not sure why, but for some reason I made the HST border blocks first, and then started on the center stars.  Maybe I was inspired by my "Lemon Taffy" quilt ... who knows!
*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  
Tangent Warning!!
I just realized that I never posted pictures of my "Lemon Taffy" quilt.  Yikes!  So, since this is a "just go with it" post, I'd better share them now ... because at the rate I've been blogging lately, if I don't, it might be next October before I remember.

 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  
... and back to the 5 Boxes update ...

Box #2 contains another Miss Rosie's Quilt Co pattern called "Eventide" and my stash of Martinique leftover from last August's "Twin Quilts".  


Ever since I purchased my sewing machine almost 4 years ago, I've either sold or gifted every quilt I've made.  I have been wanting to take the time to make a quilt for myself to keep at home and share with my family for awhile now, but haven't been able to find a pattern I was in love one, and hadn't taken the time to design one.

When I started the "Twin Quilts" last August, I went ahead and splurged on a whole Fat Quarter stack just so that would have enough fabric left over to make a quilt for me too.  I happened to stumble across the Eventide pattern around Christmas time over on Thelma's blog, but a couple of days ago, I saw that Thelma is hosting an Eventide Quilt-Along!  Since I'm already waaaaaayyyyyy behind on my prospective projects for the year, I initially had some reservations about committing to the project ... but as you might have guessed, I decided to say "What the Heck!" and signed up to participate.

If you're interested in joining up, there's still time!  Just hop on over to Thelma's blog to let her know that you want to sign up, and post your quilt progress every Tuesday!

Box #3: is breaking the rules this week.  I'm 95% done with last month's Le Petite project - embarrassing, I know!  I really only have to put on the final outer border and then that baby is done!!  However, I ended up with an awkward number of leftover 2.5" squares, so technically, this box is also holding my first forays into Hexagon English Paper Piecing.  I have to tell you, I think I'm addicted!  I totally understand why they're so popular!  I've found that it's really nice to have some hand-work to do in front of the TV.

If you're interested in giving it a try, I found my templates here.  For me, the 1" hexie works great with a 2.5" square of fabric.

Boxes #4 & #5: contain my two spring patterns.  I'm hoping to having them available in my etsy shop soon, but in the meantime, here's a quick sneak peak!!

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * 

And {finally} a little bit of knitting!

I've finally finished the first of my Embossed Leaves socks.  Hooray!  The pattern is a great one by Mona Schmidt in Favorite Socks and it's really easy to follow ... but I'm the world's SLOWEST knitter ... so they're taking forever.  Let's hope that the second one doesn't take quite as long as the first one took me!!

No comments: