Thursday, February 23, 2012

Spring Cleaning!

I think that maybe one of the reasons I've been enjoying my handwork projects lately is that my work space (and desk, if we're being totally honesty) is completely overflowing with various projects in various stages of completion.  It's a little overwhelming ... and avalanche-esque ... so I've decided to devote the rest of the week (I know ... two whole days ... whoppee!) to getting things whipped into shape.

First up, here are the latest numbers for my stash update.  They're not pretty.  Yup - about as small of a finish as anyone could get.

Stash Update: 1/27/12 - 2/13/12
  • Purchased:  7  yards including 3 Charm Packs each of California Girl and Papillon for my paper piecing, and some solids to be used in some upcoming projects.  More on them soon!!
  • Used: 0.25 yards - for my measly little mug rug!
YTD: + 18.38 yards

*     *     *     *     *

Second up - I'm reinstating the 5 boxes rule for my own sanity!  Several years ago, my sewing room was in a similar state of disarray, and so to save some poor archaeologist having to excavate my sewing table through hundreds of layers of fabric a thousand years in the future, I bought 5 little plastic boxes and {tried} to limit myself to only five projects going on at a single time.  Well, when we moved last summer, I used those five little boxes to help transport my sewing room ... and never really got around to cleaning them since I hardly touched my sewing machine in the last half of my pregnancy.  So, lately, instead of storing all my WIPs in those little boxes, I've been storing them in stacks!  And looking at those stacks this afternoon, there are WAY more than five projects, so I'm starting fresh!

Just to keep myself honest - I'm creating a new page here on my blog to track everything. You can click on the link at the top of the page to see all my current projects, but here's the basic gist of the box contents.  
  1. The monthly Another Year of Schnibbles project.
  2. My current handwork or paper piecing project.
  3. An old WIP that needs to be finished.
  4. A new project of my choice!
  5. The Swoon Along project.
*     *     *     *     *

Third up - I'm starting another page to track all of my WIPs (including those that have been shelved), Floppy Tops, and Yearly Finishes, just for fun.  Plus, I love lists and since my sewing space is about half the size as the one in our last house, I'm in some serious need of organization.  I'm hoping that this will keep me motivated, curb my crafting ADD, and keep me on track for some record finishes in 2012.

How do you organize your current projects and curb your crafting ADD?



No comments: