Friday, January 27, 2012

Leftovers!

I was thinking about yesterday's post - mainly about why I haven't sewn more clothing, and I think a big part of the reason why I don't is because there is so much wasted fabric when sewing from a clothes pattern.  Granted, it really is leftover fabric, but they're usually in odd shapes and require a little bit of extra work to get into nice, workable squares.  Once I had finished my niece's dress, though, rather than set the odd leftovers aside, I cut all of the fabric scraps into 2.5" squares - not sure why I picked that size, other than it seems to be my go-to size that works well with almost everything!

I actually scrapped anything less than 2.5" and then I played around in EQ6 to come up with a small on-point checkerboard quilt that used up as many of my leftover squares as possible, along with squares of my go-to white floral print that I always keep on hand in bulk.

Here is the math for my WIP (12 x 12 squares) and several other basic projects, in case you're interested ...




"Fabric A" would be the blue squares below, while "Fabric B" is the pink.  If you're going for more of a scrappy look, as long as you had enough squares to equal A+B in the table above, you're set.

Here's an example of a 10 x 10 layout:


To save time, rather than cutting individual setting and corner triangles, I pieced my project in diagonal strips, and just used a whole white square at the end of each diagonal row.  Once I've sewn all the rows together, I'll just cut off the white edges (making sure to leave a 1/4" margin for binding) to square up the quilt!

No comments: