Monday, June 28, 2010

MIA...?

I don't know 'bout you, but summer is flying by way too quickly for my taste.  I can't believe that July is here this week!  Yikes!  While hubby and I have been enjoying camping, BBQs with friends, and family gatherings, my poor, neglected (and might I mention, nameless!!!!) sewing machine has been sitting by his lonesome self -- however, not for long.  He'll be kicking in to high gear to finish two quilts for two cousins having babies this summer.

Baby #1 is a little girl.  When I purchased fabric from Moda's Cherish Nature line (thanks to FQS for the picture!), I wasn't sure how I was going to use them, but loved them too much to pass on getting my hands on some.

Last week, I started playing around with a pattern I had started writing about two years ago.  While I liked the middle checkboard portion, and the outer diamond pattern, I just couldn't get the center of the quilt to work.

Once I loaded these fabric swatches into my ElectricQuilt 6 program, and started playing around with the design, something just seemed to click!  The fabrics and my new diamon-square-diamond pattern feel like they were made for each other!  The pattern should be available for sale in my etsy shop by mid-July.  I'm really excited about this new pattern, too, because it includes directions for make the quilt with charm packs or with fabric yardage.  Stay tuned for more details!!

Baby #2 is a little boy.  I don't know about you, but I always have such a hard time finding fabric I like for little boys.  I hate using fabric that is so baby-ish, it's only age appropriate for a short period of time.  My fall-back fabric of choice always seems to be jungle animals.  This blanket will be made with Timeless Treasures' "Safari Jungle Baby."  I absolutely love the colorway, and the animals are cute, without being too kitschy.

I wrote a brand new pattern for this quilt, and it should also be available in my etsy shop in mid-July, as well.

Stay tuned for more sneak peaks!!


No comments: